As a tenant, you are encouraged to discuss any matter relating to your unit or your lease with your Landlord (or Housing Authority).  By contacting your Landlord at the first sign of a problem, you may be able to have the problem resolved quickly. 

Some items that you should call your Landlord right away are:

If you cannot pay your rent on time, let your Landlord know.  You have to pay all of the rent on time.

  • You may be able to make arrangements to pay off the amount.  If you are in Public Housing, your rent maybe adjusted if your income has changed.
  • All Housing Associations or Authorities require all tenants in Public Housing to complete a Household Income Form every year.  The rent for the upcoming year is based on this form.  If you do not complete the form, your rent maybe increased to the maximum for your unit.

If you damage the unit, you have to repair it. This does not apply to normal wear and tear.

  • Remember that you will be held responsible for any damage a visitor or pet causes to the unit.
  • Talk to your landlord if you are not sure if something is normal wear and tear. If the damage is not considered normal wear and tear, the landlord may ask you to pay for it.
  • You have to notify the landlord if there are any problems with the property. For example, if something breaks or there is a health or safety problem, you have to let the landlord know so it can be fixed.

As a tenant you should be aware that:

  • You cannot disturb other tenants or the landlord. This does not mean that you cannot make noise in the unit, but the other tenants and/or the landlord have to be able to use their own units without dealing with unreasonable noise and disruption.
  • You can’t do anything illegal on the rental property.

You can contact the Residential Tenancies Office at anytime to get information or advice on any matter in regards to situation.  The Rental Officer may refer you to other agencies to assist you in your situation.  These agencies may include Maliiganik Tukisiiniakvik Legal Services; Social Services or others.

You can contact the Rental Officer by mail, telephone, fax or e-mail:

Residential Tenancies Office

1106 Inuksugait Plaza (4th Floor)

P.O. Box 1000 Station 590

Iqaluit, Nunavut,

X0A 0H0

Telephone:  (867) 975-6314

Toll Free: (844) 975-6314

Fax:(867) 975-6367

e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.