The Residential Tenancies Office was created by the Residential Tenancies Act

to help landlords and tenants by:

  • Providing information
  • Investigating problems and trying to work out a solution that works for both parties
  • Holding hearings to listen to evidence
  • Making orders to resolve problems between landlords and tenants

Most problems can be resolved quickly between the landlord and tenant, but some require adjudication. If you want the Rental Officer to help with your problem, you can make an application. An application form for both landlords and tenants can be found on this website.

  • When your application is received, the Rental Officer can:
    • Inquire into the matter, which may involve an inspection of the rental premises
    • Talk to any person who might have relevant information
    • Try to help the landlord and tenant work out the problem through mediation
    • Hold a hearing to gather more information from both people
    • Make an order that can be enforced by the Nunavut Court of Justice

The Rental Officer’s hearings are simple and are often held over the telephone. You do not need a lawyer, however you can hire one if you wish. If you get papers from the Residential Tenancies Office saying that there will be a hearing, you must attend.

If you do not attend the hearing, the Rental Officer could make a decision without hearing your side of the story. The Hearing Notice will explain where to attend the hearing and when it is scheduled. Remember to bring any relevant documents to support what you are saying.

If the hearing is by telephone, it is important that you either fax or e-mail your documents to the Residential Tenancies Office before the hearing starts. If you cannot attend the hearing, call the Residential Tenancies Office right away to ask for the hearing to be rescheduled.

If the Rental Officer makes an order or decision, you have to follow it. But if you believe that the order or decision is wrong, you can appeal to the Nunavut Court of Justice. You must file an appeal with the Nunavut Court of Justice within 14 days of receiving the order or decision, as well as provide a copy of the Notice to Appeal to the Rental Officer and the other party involved.

The Judge can decide whether to delay the order or decision until the appeal is heard. The Judge may hear any evidence during the appeal. The Judge can agree to allow the appeal and change or cancel the order or decision, or the Judge could dismiss your appeal.


You contact us at:

Residential Tenancies Office

1106 Inuksugait Plaza (4th Floor)

P.O. Box 1000, Station 590

Iqaluit, Nunavut

X0A 0H0

Phone: (867) 975-6314

Toll Free: 1 -(844) 975-6314

Fax: (867) 975-6367

E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.